Garage door openers are the motorized devices controlled by switches used to open and close the garage door. Commonly, they come with a radio remote control. As a consumer, you may face certain problems with your garage door and its system. One of the most common problems is the light flashing. If you are wondering why the garage door won’t close light blinks, this is just the right article for you. The simple reasoning behind this could be the improper alignment of the safety sensors. Any obstruction near the sensors could also cause the same. The primary solution is to remove the obstruction, if any, or ensure that the safety sensors are aligned properly. Usually, the ‘Learn’ button on your garage door can answer your queries.
What do the Flashes Really Mean?
You might be wondering, what does the flashing is all about? In this section, we have properly curated what each flashing really means.
- If there is one light flash, it probably means that the safety sensors have open wires or the wires have disconnected.
- If there are two flashes, it means that the wires in the safety sensors have shorted or the black/white wires have reversed.
- If there are three flashes, the door control or the wires are shorted.
- If the garage door opener has four flashes, it means that the safety sensors are misaligned. This is usually indicated by dim lights or flashing.
- If you see five flashes, it means that the motor is overheated. Five flashes also indicate RPM sensor failure. To reset your system, you can try unplugging.
- If the garage door has six light flashes, there is a possible motor circuit failure. In this case, the receiver logic board needs to be replaced.
Types of Garage Door Openers
It is imperative that you have a clear understanding of what are the type of garage door opener you are using in the first place. These are mainly five types of garage door openers:
- Chain drive openers: Come with a chain connecting the trolley and the motor
- Belt drive openers: Use a rubber belt instead of a chain
- Screw drive openers: Come with a long skew neck within the track. The trolley is connected to the screw
- Direct drive openers: The motor is installed within the trolley. A gear wheel guides the trolley running along with the fixed chain
- Jackshaft openers: These openers are mounted on the wall at each end of the torsion bar
What are the Considerations to Make Before Getting a Garage Door?
The most important piece of advice is to not buy a used door for your garage. No matter how good the deal is, a used door will eventually bring you trouble. In case your budget still does not allow you to opt for a new door, always consult a professional.
- Always make sure to take the proper measurement.
- Look for the type of garage door your garage space will support.
- Consider matching your door to the rest of the interiors.
- You might also want to consider altering a few components according to the best suitability of your garage space and door.
- Given that an average spring system has a lifespan of 5 to 7 years, one should always replace the same within that span.
Various Garage Door Problems
Apart from garage door opener flashes, there are other problems you might face down the line. Here is a list of some of the most common ones:
- Noisy Door: Noisy doors are a common occurrence in garage doors, but it can really be a disturbance. The noisy ones can be fixed if maintenance is done regularly and few parts are replaced. Garage doors face this problem when the metal tracks wear out, or the bearing does not roll.
- Being Frozen: Cold days do not speak convenience when it comes to garage doors. The moisture and cold tend to freeze the garage doors. The situation can worsen if the door won’t budge after multiple attempts. It is advisable to first try and hit the opener button. The cold can be the reason behind stripped gears, burned-out motor, and even broken springs.
- Broken Glass: Broken glasses are a common case when your yard is a regular place for sports. Broken glasses are also a safety issue and a security problem. Replacing a pane of glass is not necessarily a very tough job. It is always advisable to get the glass fixed at the earliest.
- Worn-Out Springs: Extension springs are connected to the cables. It helps in counterbalancing the garage door. The springs, due to their functioning, are exposed to constant pressure, and it leads to them being worn out. Worn-out springs always need to be replaced at the earliest.
- Worn-Out Door: A well-maintained garage door has an average lifespan of about 50 years. However, if you neglect to service your garage door, it can last for only 15 years or less.
Troubleshooting Guide for Your Garage Door
Many times, you can find yourself asking, “why my garage door won’t close light blinks?”. The simple answer is neglect and lack of maintenance. The blinking light serves the purpose of alerting you in case of any issue with the opener arises. If the light is blinking continuously, you can press the lock button on the control panel for two seconds. This will easily disengage the lock. If this does not solve your problem, the issue probably lies with the wiring. You can get it checked as it may also lead to damaging the system.
A Few Quick Fix Tips for Your Garage Door
- Keep examining the tracks and rollers regularly.
- Make sure that the hardware is tight. Secure the screws and bolts regularly.
- The auto-reverse feature must always be tested regularly. If this feature does not work properly, it has the potential to cause a huge safety hazard.
- Keep an eye on the door balance. The wearing out of the spring makes it less resilient. A power garage door opener always needs a little extra to do the job.
- Test the pulleys and cables with time. Damaged and frayed parts always need to be replaced to avoid any hazard.
The Bottom Line
We here at Silver Fox Garage Door Repair offers one of the most comprehensive solutions when it comes to garage door repairs. Neither less to say, all of our certified technicians have years of experience offering you the right solution your garage door need. So, what are you waiting for? Garb the greatest opportunity of all time, and get in touch with us.