There is no point in arguing that garage door repair is inevitable. Even opting for custom garage doors, you still have to decide whether to go for repair or opt for a new one. But at the same time, the more you can delay the replacement of the door, the more ROI you can get out of the door. So, in this article, we are going to discuss when is the right time to opt for repair and when it is the best time to replace the entire door.
How to Deal with Damaged Garage Door
Bear in mind; one should never ignore even the slightest problems for garage doors. Over time, it can drastically increase the overall cost of repair. So, here are some of the instances where you can get away with a garage door repair. Now, if the garage door repair goes out of hand, your last resort should always be to get a new one.
1) The Type of Damage Sustained by the Door
It is imperative to understand that the type of damage sustained by a garage door. For example, if it is nothing more than cosmetic, you can easily get past repair. But, if something as trivial as insulation Las Vegas, repair might get costlier at times. For other instances, if the entire door is bent, replacing the same would be a better option to go for.
2) Age of the Garage Door
The age of your garage door greatly affects whether to go for repair or change them altogether. For example, if your garage door is just a couple of years old, make sure to opt for repair as much as possible. That being said, there’s still a ton of life you can churn out of it. The general lifespan of garage doors is around 15 to 20 years. So, if your garage door is around that age, it is always better to start looking for better alternatives.
Different Types of damage Your Garage Door Can Sustain
You can categorize different damages in primarily three different categories. These includes:
- Cosmetic: The easiest way to describe cosmetic damage is that it only affects the exterior part of the garage door. These include any chipped panel or paint fading. Bear in mind; they can be easily fixed. At most, cosmetic damages can only hamper the curb appeal of your garage door.
- Structural Damage: broken garage door panels or anything else that hampers the garage door to properly function can be considered as structural damage. Sometimes temperature variation and other external factors are also responsible for structural damage.
- Functional Damage: Any damage that has occurred at the core of the garage door can be termed as functional damage. Any broken spring or opener problem can be termed as functional damage. Functional damages can create further problems for the door. So, under serious conditions, it is better to just change the entire door.
Common Garage Door Problems that Can be Repaired
As we have stated earlier, for the majority of the time, we can get past just by repairing the garage doors. So, here are some of the instances where your garage door is easily fixed:
- Leaks: If you are suffering through rainwater leakage, it can be easily fixed. Most of the time, replacing the bottom seal does the job.
- Unbalanced Doors: Every time you are operating your garage door, it gets slightly off track. Excessive ear and tear within the motor system are also one of the most common reasons. Taking assistance from a technician can help you to fix the same.
- Noise: Finding unsettling noise coming out of your garage door is nothing new. There are varieties of reasons due to which your garage door might be producing the sound. Any professional can find the underlying problem and fix the same.
- The Door Stopped Working: You should be surprised to know that a broken remote control can lead to the entire garage door stop working. So, in case your door doesn’t work all of a sudden, the best course of action is to check the most obvious of reasons.
- Broken Springs: Due to broken garage door springs, the opener might find it hard to lift the door. So, if you find your door to be heavy while opening it manually, make sure to check for the springs.
- Single Damaged Panels: If any single panel of the garage door is damaged, there’s no need to change the entire door. You can find a plethora of options to change the single panel.
Why You Should Never Opt for DIY Repair?
There are garage door professionals for a reason. One of the most common being the importance of expertise while repairing garage doors. Neither less to say, there are several hazards associated with repairing a garage door on your own. So, the best course of advice is to leave it to the professionals.
When is the Best Time to Replace the Garage Door?
Sometimes homeowners tend to keep the garage door problems unaddressed. Under such circumstances, it might affect the garage door beyond repair. As these small issues add up, it always results in replacing the entire door. At the same time, it is very important to consider the age of your current garage door as well. If it’s more than 15 years, it is better to opt for a new one.
Contact the Professionals
We here at Silver fox Garage Door Repair strives to provide the best garage door repair. With our technical expertise, when the repair cost exceeds a certain threshold, we would always suggest you opt for a newer one. Neither less to say, our 24/7 customer support ensures that we have got your covered even in the middle of the night.
Working with all the major manufacturers and suppliers, we make sure that you have access to all the authentic parts. So, what are you waiting for? Whether it is to repair or replace your garage door, you can always count on Silver Fox Garage Door Repair.