Energy-efficient garage doors are in trend these days due to their functionality. There are a lot of advantages to it, it offers better security and traps heat during the hot summer days. A well-insulated garage door helps in maintaining the ideal temperature inside the garage and furthermore, increases the value of your home. It also helps saving electric and heating bills. In this article, we would discuss the importance of installing an energy-efficient garage door.
Reasons to Consider Energy Efficient Garage Doors
1) Hot Summer Heat Affects Your Garage
In summer, the heat can harm electrical components together with electronics in stored electrical items. Not only this, but it can also damage your car which further leads to car battery failure. If you want durable and want to cut down repair costs then opt for an energy-efficient garage door.
2) How Winter Cold Affects Your Garage
The coldness of the winter days can damage the springs and lubrication of your garage door. Ice build-up can hamper the functionality of your garage. For avoiding this, shift to an energy-efficient garage door. For garage door insulation in Las Vegas, you can contact any of the local garage door company.
3) Advantages of Energy Efficient Garage Door
Garage walls need to be insulated however, if you haven’t insulated the garage door then it’s of no use. If you look at it then you would realize that the garage door also acts as the wall or the entry point to a garage. Let’s look at the advantages of installing an energy-efficient garage door.
- The first benefit is that it can cut down the annual energy bill by 15 percent.
- It helps in maintaining the ideal temperature inside the garage in all seasons.
- The unbearable heat of the summer days can shorten the car’s battery life. During winters, the below freezing temperature can hamper the functionality of the batteries by 50%.
- Energy-efficient garage doors would give extra protection to your garage.
- Provides the ideal temperature inside. It would save you from the scorching heat during summers and in winters from severe cold.
- Non-insulated garage doors are a lot nosier when compared to insulated ones.
Before installing a garage door, don’t forget to do some research.
How to Choose an Energy-Efficient Garage Door?
You need to consider two factors before purchasing an energy-efficient garage door.
1.The ‘R’ Value of the Door
The ‘R’ value of the door helps you to measure the insulating qualities of the door. The higher ‘R’ value of the door means that it has better insulation.
2.The Potential for Air Leakage
The next thing you need to consider is how easily can the air inside the escape around the door.
Choosing the Right Material
There are mainly four types of material used for garage doors: aluminum, steel, wood, and composite wood.
- Aluminum: Though aluminum gives off a modern look it is light-weighted making it a poor insulator.
- Steel: This is the preferred choice of most homeowners. It is durable however, it doesn’t offer much insulation. For better insulation, go for low gauge steel which offers better insulation.
- Wood: Though wood gives off a sophisticated look to your home, it has poor insulation and durability. It needs high maintenance.
- Composite Wood: Composite wood is an ideal replacement for wood. It needs low maintenance and is durable when compared to wood. You can pair it up with steel and faux wood.
We advise you to purchase a door with added insulation which comes in two forms, polyurethane and polystyrene foam. The thicker the foam the better.
Various Insulating Options
- Single Layer Door: If your garage is not connected to your home then you can install a single-layer door.
- Double Layer Door: These doors have standard polystyrene insulation.
- Triple Layer Door: These doors have thicker polyurethane or polystyrene insulation. If your garage is connected to your home then go for this one.
- Insulation strengthens the door and adds soundproofing.
Call for the Professionals
For garage door installation, you can get in touch with us, Silver Fox Garage Door Repair. We would be at your service 24×7. Visit our website to compare different projects and check the feedbacks of our previous customers. With years of experience, our certified professionals can provide you the right assistance.